Sunday, October 11, 2009

Peaches Owes Apology to ASPCA and Turks and Caicos Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals


I love animals to the core, particularly, dogs, and would do anything for them. About six months ago, it was disheartening for me to part my way from my dog, Yoda. He is a Yorkshire Terrier. In this blog post, I contained a picture of my lovely bundle of joy. The downside of being a musical performer is the constant traveling. Now, collaborating as “Peaches” with Peaches and Herb and also gigging with my band, the Meritxell Project, my schedule’s even more chaotic. But as we all know, pets need lots of TLC. As heartbreaking as it was, I had to find my best friend, Yoda a new home.

During my Peaches and Herb concert in Turks and Caicos Islands on August 29, while driving around the heavenly beaches of Providenciales, I came across an affectionate stray dog that reminded me of Yoda. Oddly, later that evening as I dined at a quaint, TCI beachfront bar and grill, I was introduced to members of the ASPCA and the Turks and Caicos Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (TCSPCA).

Being aware that I am a big animal lover, the TCSPCA President graciously invited me to tour their facility the next morning. Upon arrival, I proceeded to videotape my visit, which I had planned to publicize on my website and in Youtube. Unfortunately, my video camera caught a virus and all the footage was ruined. So instead, to make up for the loss, I decided to blog about my unique experience…


I learned a lot while touring the TCSPCA facility, such as the history of potcakes. The term, “potcake,” which is given to the dogs of the Turks and Caicos Islands and the Bahamas, originated from the locals, who fed caked remains of cooking pots to stray dogs. In the island, the potcake population is growing, which is why organizations like TCSPCA are crucially needed for the rescue and welfare of these homeless animals.


While in the facility, I got to see some of the essential medical care that some of these homeless animals need. The animals were well provided for and I felt an incredible aura of contentment.
The TCSPCA volunteers are relentless in their mission. They go into TCI communities to spay and neuter dogs. They provide fostering and adoption services. They also assist the TCI government with animal control.


I’m so happy that that animal care group in Turks and Caicos is doing such a wonderful job taking care of business! I’m also grateful that I was able to tour their animal shelter. And I look forward to revisit the warm and gracious people of TCI to do another Peaches and Herb performance.

Love,


Meritxell ("Peaches")

Peaches and Herb
"Peaches" Bio - Imagen Records
Meritxell Music
The Meritxell Project - Myspace

No comments: